Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Imaginary fences

There's something that's been on my mind a lot the last month. I've had situations where I've needed to consider these things for myself and even recently I've been learning more in relation to this. Please take these things in, and choose for yourself what you think and how you feel about this. That is what I've done over the last six years, and now completely know where I stand on this issue, and subsequently, many other seemingly grey areas of life. But if the spirit doesn't teach it to you, then you won't have the power to really apply it in your life... so again, Listen. Open your heart and humbly consider the principle I'm speaking of. Not of all the "proofs" in whatever your situation may be- that seem to be proof of how I could be wrong. 

I feel like much of the Saviors' energy as portrayed in the new testament is not about the law, but what lies just beneath it. There seems to be something else holding up the commandments Jehovah had given in the old testament times. As Christ fulfills the law and brings more truth I think what he's getting at is that there are not just simple rules we can follow to gain favor in His eye- but there is a higher law. Or, a better place that we can be in- even more so than by simply following the guidelines given us. Here's an example;


 Ye have heard that it was said of them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery. But I say unto you, that whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart. Matt 5:27-28
The power of this is not in following the law given, the real salvation comes from not just living by the law... but by not even having those thoughts in our hearts. Notice the phrase "in his heart". How many times do we go through the day getting down on ourselves because we had a bad thought go through our head. How absurd is that- really? We are divinely created, we are on God's side and we are not the ones coming up with those thoughts that oppose the Lord. It is the adversary. But our head and our hearts are two totally different things, are they not? Heavenly Father knows that our temptations first come into our mind, and that if we give place for them in our hearts those things can begin to take over and change the way we live our lives. 

So let me ask you something... Where is the line? How do you know what is and isn't right? What if it's not so clear. What if that line is right through the middle of something you want but aren't sure if it's best for you- and, even if it isn't, maybe you just want it anyways. There was a time when I had this choice to make in regards to something some may see as being completely black and white. Others know the emotional side of it. The hurt and pain of constant loneliness as you go through a serious break up or in my case- divorce. Maybe you know what it's like to just want someone to make it better and have a reason to still believe you can be loved. Often though it's much more simple. Most of the time it comes down to deciding between what's good and what's best. The only problem is that we don't see what's best. We're too stuck on what we want... to see things as they really are, to see what's often right in front of us, and what we already know in our hearts is right.

So here's the situation. When I was going through my divorce, I had a choice as to how I was going to act while going through this time. I was well able to go about life with a new sense of freedom and start dating around and getting back to normal. However, there was something holding me back. Papers had been signed and it was only a matter of waiting six months for finalization- so what did I do? What would you do?
Do you choose Diligence or Denial? Does it really matter? Diligent to what- a failed marriage that you'll never go back to? Well let me tell you what I've learned. 

What I felt, and what I knew, were different in many ways. What I felt was totally normal for someone in an abusive and dysfunctional relationship- hurt, lonely, like I needed to tell everyone that was close to me I loved them because my whole sense of security was dismantled. So coming out of it of course I wanted to move on. I wanted to start something new and put the past behind me. However, I was still "married" for another 8 months after we separated. So did I want to be diligent to those promises I had made to Heavenly Father? Of course I did, but I also wanted change. I wanted life to flow back through me. I thought that would come through someone else eventually... But it still hasn't. Not even six years later. Where it has come from was where it originated. My relationship with the Savior, and how I followed Him.

I had a choice in front of me, to look at the law, or to seek out the principle. Technically I was still married. But in all other senses I was not and would not be involved with that person ever again. We were over. Where I went right... was how I chose to move on. I knew I was married still until it was completely finalized. And I never went on a date or even held a girls hand until it was finalized. I think some may say that it wouldn't have mattered much, but the thing is... it mattered to me. And I knew it mattered to the Lord. How do we see these choices we're given. They really are our choices and we get to make all kinds of them every day. We cannot choose the consequences, but we usually know what they will be. 

Where it all started for me was in the decision I made to honor the fact that I was still married. By living according to that and following what I knew was right I was able to receive so much more from Heavenly Father. I know that by being obedient to the Lord's commandments we not only are doing what is right, we are qualifying ourselves to be truly taught by the Holy Spirit. Through the hurt, by struggling at times and pushing through to what I knew was right- I gained so much. I grew. I gained knowledge and character, and I became a little more like my Father in Heaven. 

I went off a little but I just want you to know I've been on both sides. I know there are some really great, and very convincing reasons to not see what others can see so clearly.  Stop letting the deceptions of the devil cloud your eyes, the pride and selfishness are hurting you more than you know. Stop trying so hard to defend yourself in doing what you want to at the time, that you start to believe they're actually your thoughts. Don't defend the adversary... choose your own thoughts. That is why it is so very important to be humble. We need a sense of our own nothingness to really be teachable. Humility brings faith, and faith helps hope. Use those gifts. They are traits that God has given all of us. We all have hope and faith and want to trust in something higher than us... so believe and have faith that you can see things as they really are. Then listen to what the spirit is telling you- and obey



No comments:

Post a Comment